Senior Lecturer in Respiratory Medicine at Hull York Medical School and the University of Hull.
He graduated from Edinburgh University and trained in respiratory and general (internal) medicine in south-east Scotland. During his PhD he worked on neutrophil and macrophage biology and cell surface alterations associated with apoptosis (programmed cell death) in the MRC Centre for Inflammation Research, and in 2001 he was awarded an MRC Clinician Scientist fellowship.
He is Honorary Consultant in Respiratory Medicine at Castle Hill Hospital where he leads the Hull interstitial lung disease service and participates in the acute general medicine rota.
Research interests include the pathogenesis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and other interstitial lung diseases, immunology of pulmonary fibrosis and sarcoidosis, and lung inflammation and repair.
The research group is based in the Daisy Clinical Research and Teaching Building (2nd floor), Castle Hill Hospital
We use a translational biology "bench to bedside" approach to address research questions in pulmonary fibrosis and sarcoidosis.
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is a progressive scarring disease affecting the lungs of older people. We believe that development of effective therapies in the future will depend on a clear understanding of what initiates and perpetuates lung scarring. We have discovered abnormalities of platelet function in patients with IPF. We are studying how the pulmonary vascular endothelium responds to injury and how these responses contribute to pulmonary fibrosis by promoting retention and activation of platelets in the lungs.
We are studying the potential use of novel imaging techniques in pulmonary fibrosis, both in the lab (in collaboration with Hull University Dept. of chemistry) and in the clinic.
We have an ongoing interest in assessing and treating symptoms in pulmonary fibrosis, particularly breathlessness and cough.
Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease of unknown cause. Whilst some cases remit spontaneously, there is no curative treatment. We are studying immune responses in the blood and lung tissue of patients with sarcoidosis to help understand how the disease is initiated and driven. We are particularly interested in how abnormal function of regulatory (inhibitory) receptors on blood monocytes leads to an overactive immune system in sarcoidosis.
- Crooks MG, Hart SP. Biomarkers in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: picking the winners for trials. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine 2015 (published online March 12).
- Williamson JD, Sadofsky LR, Hart SP. The pathogenesis of bleomycin-induced lung injury in animals and its applicability to human idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Experimental lung research 2015; 41(2): 57-73.
- Crooks MG, Hart SP. A new era of drug therapy for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine 2014; 2(12): 964-6.
- Crooks MG, Fahim A, Naseem KM, Morice AH, Hart SP. Increased platelet reactivity in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is mediated by a plasma factor. PloS one 2014; 9(10): e111347.
- Hart SP. Understanding CT patterns in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Lancet Respir Med. 2014 Apr;2(4):249-50.
- Fahim A, Crooks MG, Morice AH, Hart SP. Increased platelet binding to circulating monocytes in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Lung. 2014 Apr;192(2):277-84.
- Fahim A, Crooks MG, Wilmot R, Campbell AP, Morice AH, Hart SP. Serum carcinoembryonic antigen correlates with severity of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Respirology. 2012;17:1247-52
- Fahim A, Chong MC, Crooks MG, Hart SP. Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis is Associated with Circulating Antiepithelial Antibodies. Lung. 2012;190:451-458
- Hart SP, Rossi AG, Haslett C, Dransfield I. Characterization of the Effects of Cross-Linking of Macrophage CD44 Associated with Increased Phagocytosis of Apoptotic PMN. PLoS One. 2012;7(3):e33142
- Fahim A, Crooks M, Hart SP. Gastroesophageal reflux and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: a review. Pulm Med. 2011;2011:634613. PubMed PMID: 21738875
- Bournazos S, Bournazou I, Murchison JT, Wallace WA, McFarlane P, Hirani N, Simpson AJ, Dransfield I, Hart SP. Copy number variation of FCGR3B is associated with susceptibility to idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Respiration.2011;81:142-9.
- Goh YC, Yap CT, Huang BH, Cronshaw AD, Leung BP, Lai PB, Hart SP, Dransfield I, Ross JA. Heat-shock protein 60 translocates to the surface of apoptotic cells and differentiated megakaryocytes and stimulates phagocytosis. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2011 68:1581-92.
- Bournazos S, Bournazou I, Murchison JT, Wallace WA, McFarlane P, Hirani N, Simpson AJ, Dransfield I, Hart SP. Fcγ receptor IIIb (CD16b) polymorphisms are associated with susceptibility to idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Lung. 2010;188:475-81
- Bournazos S, Grinfeld J, Alexander KM, Murchison JT, Wallace WA, McFarlane P, Hirani N, Simpson AJ, Dransfield I, Hart SP. Association of FcγRIIa R131H polymorphism with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis severity and progression. BMC Pulm Med. 2010;10:51.
- Bournazos S, Fahim A, Hart SP. Identification of fibrocytes in peripheral blood. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;180:1279
- Bournazos S, Woof JM, Hart SP, Dransfield I. Functional and clinical consequences of Fc receptor polymorphic and copy number variants. Clin Exp Immunol. 2009;157:244-54
- Bournazos S, Hart SP, Chamberlain LH, Glennie MJ, Dransfield I. Association of FcgammaRIIa (CD32a) with lipid rafts regulates ligand binding activity. J Immunol. 2009;182:8026-36
- Kilpatrick DC, Chalmers JD, MacDonald SL, Murray M, Mohammed A, Hart SP, Matsushita M, Hill A. Stable bronchiectasis is associated with low serum L-ficolin concentrations. Clin Respir J. 2009 Jan;3:29-33.
- Bournazos S, Rennie J, Hart SP, Fox KA, Dransfield I. Monocyte functional responsiveness after PSGL-1-mediated platelet adhesion is dependent on platelet activation status. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008;28:1491-8.
- Bournazos S, Rennie J, Hart SP, Dransfield I. Choice of anticoagulant critically affects measurement of circulating platelet-leukocyte complexes. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008;28(1):e2-3
- Hart SP, Dransfield I, Rossi AG. Phagocytosis of apoptotic cells. Methods 2008;44:280-285
- Taylor EL, Rossi AG, Dransfield I, Hart SP. Analysis of neutrophil apoptosis. Methods Mol Biol. 2007;412:177-200
Former chair, HYMS Academic Progress Committee
Co-lead for academic foundation program at HYMS
Block lead for block 18 (cardiovascular/respiratory/dermatology)
Year 3 clinical tutor
Past member of British Thoracic Society science & research committee
Royal College of Physicians SCE exam board and question writing group (respiratory medicine)
Resuscitation Council (UK) ALS Instructor